Actually we function fairly well!
We are taking our everyday challenges and choosing to laugh through them.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The ToOtH fAiRy was outed!



So the child who still believes in unicorns, dinosaurs and that Thomas the train is real says to me "Momma, I am not quite sure there is a tooth fairy, I think that it may be a person like you, Momma are you the tooth fairy and a mom?"
So I tried the "what do you think route?" And she said "I think you are the tooth fairy, and do you keep all the teeth? And can you show me all of mine?"
So I said "yes, I am the tooth fairy" and she said "REALLY!!, Can you show me my teeth?" So I pulled out the big zip lock bag on the top shelf of my closet and showed her.
We sat and talked about the tooth fairy and she seemed a little confused. I told her it was more of a fun thing for parents and then she said "Oh"
As a family we don't really glorify any unnecessary idols (Easter Bunny, Santa, ect.) that may take the focus off of reality but the tooth fairy thing was one that I did go ahead and do. I told her not to ruin the surprise of the tooth fairy with her sister or brother or any other small children and she promised that she wouldnt. I know she wont spill the beans, she and her siblings have done very well not to ruin Santa for everyone.
The world is so idol-istic these days, I don't want to spoil childhood fun but we have a hard enough time with reality in this house not only with her and the way her mind works but her brother too. Some people, children and even some adults too have a hard time distinguishing what is real and what is not.
I never want them to question the reality of Jesus!
So go ahead let me have it... Am I doing the right thing here or will they be in therapy when they are 40?
Kel





Philippians 4:8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

5 comments:

  1. You are an awesome mom! Santa and his friends are the only lies we've told our kids and it bothers us. We've always told them the truth when they asked and often when they didn't- so they would know that they could come to us and hear it like it is. The only problem is that I believe in the magicalness, the childishness of the spirit of giving and so have not been willing to give that up. Not for the boys as much as for me! I admit it! I believe in Santa Claus. Not the commercial guy in the mall or selling toys at the toy store - but the spirit of giving that is perhaps personified in a happy, loving, fatherly/grandfatherly way. In a way I think it is the Christian cultures way to personify our Father in Heaven. is it right? Is it wrong? I don't know, but I have no convictions against it after all of these years as a Christian (I do have personal convictions against halloween). Do I think of Santa as an idol? Not in my house! but perhaps in the homes of others.... for me he's just the personification of giving and happy, benign kindness to all people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to clarify that what bothers me is not telling my kids that I put the gifts under the tree and in the stockings, I put the money under the pillow in the tooth fairies name and I make poor John hide the Easter eggs in the yard while I put little gifts out for Easter morning. It is the incomplete truth towars the children that bothersa me, not the pretending of these childish customs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we should ALL be in therapy when we're 40. It never hurts to talk to a professional - just to clear the air. I'm 10+ years behind on my own advice - oops.

    I also think childhood dreams are OK. To believe in something so magical and special is perpetuating a lie but giving our kids a sense of the magical and wonderful. When they ask, we need to be honest and I know you gave Hayden a great explanation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know how crazy my kids are, this year at Christmas Zev said "I just seen the reindeers in the sky, hey guys they are real!"

    So now he has convinced himself that everyone else is right!
    Too funny, Welcome to my world where everyday is Groundhog day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have never done anything NOT REAL. But my girl DID tell her preschool class (Ms. Wendi & Ms. Joy) that "Santa is dead!" Way to NOT obey Mom & Dad! :(

    Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete