Actually we function fairly well!
We are taking our everyday challenges and choosing to laugh through them.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Zev is gone!



Well not GONE, gone.
 He is however gone from my room! 
For the past two years now Zev has been sleeping in my bed. 
It hasn't always been this way, in fact Zev got out of the crib close to 2 years old and slept in a big boy bed right after that and did for 3 years. But when he was 5 he started developing some strange fears. 
Many of these fears are still present. It seems as time has went on he has gotten progressively worse to where he wouldn't even go to the bathroom alone in our own house. 
He still has issues with that and his sisters have gotten used to having to go to the bathroom with him or to his room to get something. Even to the kitchen in the middle of the day you will see him ask Tave to go with him. 
I have tried many times to figure out why he is so scared but all I can ever get out of him is that he thinks he is going to be attacked by scary things. Neither Zev nor the girls are allowed to watch anything scary on tv. 
We actually don't even watch tv much. He has mentioned seeing some things before when he was in someone else's care but I cannot get him to shake this. I have prayed over him many many times and tried different things that I thought would help him but it hasn't yet. 
So for the past two years he has been laying on the couch and he waits for me to go to bed and then he will go. Most of the time he would fall asleep on the couch and I would just carry him to bed. 
This year I threw my back out twice already though so I am not doing that anymore and he finds himself out in the living room alone in the middle of the night and comes running scared into my room. 
Well this past weekend I tried again in my alone time to remove the spirit of fear from this house and that child. 
I prayed loudly and claimed this house back. I knew it had been done and my only thought was how do I make him understand that it is over.
 I didn't say anything at first but then finally did talk to him and told him that he was done being afraid. He was excited about it! Until he had to go to bed last night. 
He wound up back in the living room again. But tonight we did it again and he came out of there 3 times and I took him back all three times, firm but loving. I have to say it was breaking my heart because I don't like my kids to be afraid and them to think that I don't care but I took him back three times. I even left all the lights on in his room and the hallway. Came back out and noticed after a few minutes that it had gotten quiet. When I went to check on him, I found him asleep tightly wrapped under his blanket hiding. I was torn with emotion. The first half of me was upset that he fell asleep so scared enough to be so hidden under the blanket but the other half of me was excited for him and me . Excited for him that he was able to go to sleep in his room and for me that I would have my bed to myself. 
I wish I knew I did the right thing, but I don't. Its not a battle that I must win, and I certainly have room in my bed for him. I just want to help him get over these fears, but is it worth him being so scared still. Is it one of those choose your battles things? I don't know, lately it seems like every way I turn I have messed something up.  I know that God does not want him to be fearful. Fear is not a fruit of the spirit. So I will keep praying over him and his sisters. If he doesnt make it in his room all night thats just ok too.
Praying through your house is not a superstitious ritual, it is claiming your home, your children and life and standing up and proclaiming "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" Joshua 24:15
For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline. 2 Timothy 1:7

No comments:

Post a Comment